Posts Tagged ‘thanksgiving’
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and how to cook your turkey is on the brain. Check out this Precise Heat Multi-Baker / Roaster with Wire Rack! It is made of surgical steel construction on cover and base and goes from the oven or stove top, to the table to the refrigerator. It is regularly priced at $299.95 and is market down to $89.55! It also has free shipping! Grab one before the price changed.
To help better educate consumers and prevent incidences of holiday food poisoning, NSF International has put together a list of nine tips to making a safe meal this year.
1. Don’t let uncooked turkey sit at room temperature. Shop for a turkey last and get it home and refrigerated promptly. Bag the turkey separately and place it below other food in the refrigerator.
2. Don’t attempt to thaw a frozen turkey quickly by leaving it sit overnight on a kitchen counter. Use one of the following methods:
Option I – Place a covered turkey in a shallow pan on the lowest shelf of the refrigerator.
Option II – Completely submerge the turkey under a stream of cold (70°F) running water.
3. Never place the turkey directly on the counter; keep it on a platter or in a roaster. Clean and sanitize the counter and utensils after handling raw turkey.
4. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling raw turkey, using plenty of warm water and soap.
5. Use a thermometer to check for doneness, even if the turkey has a pop-up timer. It is best to check that the turkey has reached 165°F in multiple spots, including the thickest part of the thigh to ensure doneness.
6. If the bird is stuffed, also check the temperature of stuffing to ensure it, too, has reached 165 °F.
7. Wait to stuff the turkey until right before putting it in the oven. For those wanting to prepare stuffing ahead of time, the USDA recommends preparing separate dishes with the wet and dry ingredients and keeping them refrigerated, then mixing the ingredients together just before stuffing the turkey. As a reminder the stuffing should be cooked until it reaches at least 165° F at the center.
8. Once the temperature has reached 165 °F throughout the turkey, it should stand for at least 15-20 minutes before carving.
9. Refrigerate any leftovers immediately. Large portions should be separated into smaller containers and covered loosely to speed cooling.
RULES: For Bonus Entries, leave a link to your Facebook profile, include a link to your Tweet. Tweets must be spaced no less than 60 mins apart. I need to be able to verify all entries! When blogging, giveaway must be a NEW blog post for the day of your entry. If you sign up for feed updates via email and do not activate it by clicking the link the the follow-up email your entry will not be honored.
Giveaway: (2 Winners!) NSF Certified Turkey Roasting Pan, NSF Certified Meat Thermometer, An NSF Branded Apron
Mandatory Entry: What is your FAVORITE thing to eat or cook for Thanksgiving?
Bonus Entries: (Lots of additional ways to enter! Leave a separate comment for each one!)
- Subscribe to Delightful Chaos Feed (1 entry)
- Follow Delightful Chaos on Networked Blogs (1 entry)
- Blog about this Giveaway and link back to it. (5 Entries)
- Like Delightful Chaos on FB (1 entry)
- Follow @DelitefulChaos and @DelightfulToni on Twitter (2 entries)
- Subscribe to our YouTube Channel (1 entry) (leave YouTube ID)
- Follow Delightful Chaos on Google Friend Connect (Option in right column) (1 Entry)
- Tweet: Check out these Turkey Tips from #DelightfulChaos and enter to win a Turkey Roasting Pan! http://bit.ly/apTcNB (1 entry per Tweet)
- RT any of my last 15 posts (List to the right, RT button on each post) (1 entry per RT max 15)
- Place DelightfulChaos.com in your Text Blogroll (Leave a link)(2 Entries)
- Comment on any NON-Giveaway post between 11/10 and 11/17 Tell me where. (1 Entry per comment)
- Add this Giveaway to a Mr. Linky, Blog Carnival, Sweepstakes site, forum etc. (Leave link) (1 entry , unlimited)
Giveaway is open to US residents only who are 18 years of age or older. I reserve the right to remove any entry from this giveaway. This giveaway is sponsored by Ketchum PR. This giveaway ends 11/17/10 at 11:59pm EST.
**Oh, and by the way, let’s not forget the all important FTC disclosure. I was not compensated in ANY way for this post.***